Stuffed Chow Chow
- 3 Chow Chow (Chayote / Christophine / mirliton) fruit
- 1 1 Onion (Chopped)
- 3 Bacon Rashers (Chopped)
- 2 Potato (Diced)
- Cheddar Cheese (Grated)
- Parsley (Chopped)
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Slice the Chow Chow fruit length-ways in half, through the soft seed and place in a boiling water. Simmer for 30 minutes until the Chow Chow is cooked but still firm.
- Prepare the other stuffing ingredients. Dice onions and lightly fry until translucent and set aside to cool.
- Dice and lightly fry bacon pieces. Set aside.
- Dice and boil the potatoes, Once cooked, drain and mash the potatoes.
- Mix together onions, mashed potatoes, bacon.
- Once Chow Chow has cooked, remove from the water and allow to slightly cool enough to handle. Remove the seed and scoop out the soft flesh, being very careful not to pierce the skin. Set your fruit skins to use as a shell for stuffing and baking.
- Finely dice your flesh from the Chow Chow fruit and add to the potato and onion mixture.
- Season to taste including a sprinkling of chopped parsley.
- Heap your mixture into the fruit shells and top with the grated cheese.
- Bake at 180C for 25 Minutes.