St Helena Tomato Paste
An utterly delicious homemade Tomato Paste, that is ridiculously easy to make. Called 'Breed n' Dance' on St Helena, 'cause it was a favourite at weekend dances on the Island. Enjoyed as a delicious snack, or sandwich filling, this will be a favourite of yours as well.
- 1 Tin Chopped tomatoes (or freshly chopped)
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 2 Bacon Rashes (Chopped)
- Chilli (Chopped)
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 Egg (Optional)
- Fry the onion.
- Add the chilli (to taste) and bacon.
- Once onion and bacon have softened, add the chopped tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the tomatoes cook down into a paste. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Once cooked add in the sugar to taste, to balance the acidity.
- Let the tomato paste cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Spread on fresh bread to make ‘Breead ‘n’ Dance’ sandwiches.
Optional. Some like to add a whisked egg to the mixture towards the end of the cooking which helps to thicken the paste. If you let the tomatoes cook for long enough then they will naturally thicken. The egg is down to personal taste.