St Helena Tomato Paste
- 1 Tin Chopped tomatoes (or freshly chopped)
- 1 Onion (Diced)
- 2 Bacon Rashes (Chopped)
- Chilli (Chopped)
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 Egg (Optional)
- Fry the onion.
- Add the chilli (to taste) and bacon.
- Once onion and bacon have softened, add the chopped tomatoes.
- Reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the tomatoes cook down into a paste. Be sure to stir occasionally.
- Once cooked add in the sugar to taste, to balance the acidity.
- Let the tomato paste cool completely. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
- Spread on fresh bread to make ‘Breead ‘n’ Dance’ sandwiches.