St Helena Coconut Ice
- Baking tray/pan
- 450 g Granulated sugar
- 200 ml Evaporated milk
- 250 g Desiccated coconut
- Pink food colouring
- Grease and line a baking tray/pan. Do both to make it easy to remove at the end.
- Dissolve the sugar and evaporated milk in a medium to large saucepan by bringing it to the boil. Be sure to continuously stir the mixture so it doesn't burn and separate. Stir until the mixture begins to thicken (on average takes about 4 mins).
- Remove from heat. Whilst still hot stir in the desiccated coconut.
- Add half of the mixture to the baking tray/pan. Press it down with the back of a spoon so its compacted and flattened. Don't worry if it doesn't fill the whole tin, focus on flattening the mixture so its about 1-2cm thick. (Once it sets can trim the edge.)
- Add a few drops of pink food colouring to the remaining mixture and stir it in. Be aware once it has been added the mixture will harden quickly.
- Add this pink mixture on top of the other mixture and flatten with the back of a spoon.
- While still warm cut into squares (between 4-5cm). Leave to completely cool down and set.
- Once cooled remove from tray/pan. Cut along the squares again, this helps to prevent them breaking up as you separate each piece.
- Keep in an airtight container and eat within 2 weeks. Perfect for a sweet treat!